Sexual Assault Statistics
- 1 out of 6 American women has been a survivor of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.
- South Dakota experiences 1.5 times the national average rate of per capita forcible rapes.
- Native American women are 2.5 times more likely to experience sexual assault than any other ethnic group in the U.S.
- 44% of sexual assault victims are under age 18; 80% are under age 30.
- 68% of sexual assaults are not reported to police.
- 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
Domestics Violence Statistics
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been the victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime. This happens to someone you know.
- Nearly half of all women and men in the US have experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women.
- Up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.