Join The Compass Center and help bring counseling and advocacy services to primary and secondary victims of sexual and domestic violence. The Compass Center currently does not have any open career opportunities. If you are interested in other ways to be involved, please head to our 'Become a Volunteer' page.
Sexual Assault Advocate
Sexual Assault Advocate
Job Description and Qualifications
The Compass Center is an innovative, trauma-informed non-profit victim service organization dedicated to supporting victims of sexual, relational and family trauma. The Mission “Navigating the journey to healing for all impacted by sexual, relational and family trauma” is fulfilled through a variety of programs, services, education and prevention initiatives.
The Sexual Assault Advocate supports the mission and values of the organization by providing trauma-informed, client-centered, and culturally-responsive crisis advocacy and support services to survivors of sexual violence and their families. This position is a client-facing role and will provide exceptional service to all individuals and communities served by the organization. This is a part-time PRN position with the opportunity for flexible scheduling.
Programs and Services:
- Assist in the coverage of the 24-hour sexual assault line, providing crisis intervention, emotional support, safety planning and information and referral services to survivors of sexual violence and human trafficking.
- Provide in-person services and support to survivors of sexual assault. This includes traveling to non-traditional safe locations such as hospitals, law enforcement centers, community service providers, etc. within a four-county region (Minnehaha, Lincoln, Turner, McCook).
- Provide advocacy and support to survivors of sexual violence who are incarcerated or are in confinement settings.
- Develop and maintain expertise in Trauma-Informed Care, the Prison Rape Elimination Act, Advocacy Best-Practices, and others as identified and assigned.
- Work collaboratively with community systems used by survivors of sexual violence during crisis and provide feedback on how to improve systems to better meet survivor needs.
- Participates as a representative of The Compass Center at Minnehaha/Lincoln County Sexual Assault Response Team meetings as requested by immediate supervisor.
- Provides presentations to community members and service providers about topics related to sexual violence and/or Compass Center services.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all services delivered in accordance with agency protocols and procedures.
- Strictly adhere to agency confidentiality and safety protocols.
- Adhere to all agency protocols and policies regarding services to clients.
- Complete at least 6 shifts per month and record time according to agency policies and procedures.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Advocacy Coordinator.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted. Must be 18 years old with a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance. Must have a motor vehicle for independent transportation. Must pass a FBI/LE and an Abuse/Neglect registry/background check.
- Passion for the agency’s mission
- Commitment to The Compass Center’s core values
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to learn about and practice trauma-informed responses and practices
- Strong sense of empathy/compassion towards others
- Individual initiative with strong team-player mentality
- Strong commitment to confidentiality and ethical conduct
- Ability to identify problems and assist with finding solutions
- Crisis de-escalation and intervention skills
- Knowledge of and ability to set appropriate boundaries with clients
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a part-time, PRN, non-exempt position and will include nights, evenings, weekends and holidays. At least 6 shifts per month are required. Various shifts available. The pay for this position is $2.00/hour for all hours not providing victim/community education services, $25/hour for all client related community education services.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position operates in a variety of locations within Minnehaha, Lincoln, Turner and McCook counties. Work environment may include hospital, law enforcement, and incarceration settings. Additional settings not listed here may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Regularly required to talk or hear.
- Frequently required to stand/walk
- Frequently required to use hands to handle or feel and reach items
- Required to have close visual acuity to perform activities like preparing and analyzing data, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Frequent travel required, all within Minnehaha, Lincoln, Turner, and McCook counties. Mileage reimbursement provided.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Compass Center is an EOE employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.