Family Violence Project
The Compass Center is committed to breaking the cycle of sexual and domestic violence. The Compass Center’s Family Violence Project focuses on batterer intervention and is offered to those have used abuse against others.
What is the Family Violence Project (FVP)?
The Family Violence Project is a 25-week program based on the Duluth Model of treatment for individuals who have used violence against a partner or family member. This program is designed to help participants identify their abusive thoughts, beliefs and actions and to learn respectful, non-violent alternatives. Individuals in the program are held accountable for attendance and must contact the agency directly to get services.
Steps in the program include:
- An initial assessment session with the FVP coordinator. The assessment costs $100 and lasts about an hour and a half. Assessment costs will increase with each no show / no call to reschedule before the appointment.
- Those who are recommended to attend FVP groups will be scheduled to attend an orientation session. This session is free and lasts about an hour and a half.
- Weekly groups, which are therapeutic as well as educational. Groups are fee based, and participants pay based on a sliding fee scale. Groups last one and a half hours and are held weekly.
- Exit interview: At the end of 25 weeks, participants meet one final time with the FVP coordinator to discuss what was learned. This final session is free and lasts about one hour.
Participants who are court ordered to attend will have their attendance monitored by the court. The agency remains in contact with the court throughout the program and provides attendance records.
When is Family Violence Project?
- Tuesdays 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesdays 12:00 – 1:30 pm
- Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesdays 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Thursdays 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesdays 10:00 – 11:30 am
What does Family Violence Project cost?
- Assessment: $100 (This fee increases by $50 each time a person does not show for the appointment and does not call to cancel)
- Orientation: Free
- Weekly Class: Sliding fee scale, $10 – $200 based on income. Participants must pay each week and will not be allowed in class without payment.
- Restart: If a participant must restart the groups (caused by too many absences), they must pay an additional $15 restart fee.
- Exit interview: Free
- Week 26 and beyond: Participants are encouraged to attend groups after their 25th week to continue working on their skills. All groups attended past the 25th group are FREE.